Tuesday, November 5, 2013

It's Not You, It's Me.

 

Dear Running,

We need to take a break.  Believe me this is not what I want, but I have to look at a couple of very important lessons that you taught me.

1.       Be a little bit selfish

2.       Take care of yourself

So, that’s what I’m going to do.

I want to thank you for our last Hurrah!

The Nike Women’s Marathon was AWESOME!

You really hit our last date out of the park.  It wasn’t our best time (3:07 and change) but is was a great time!

Let’s recap, shall we?

Friday night we drove up to Redwood City with Sara.  We took the long way, cruised the coast, stuffed our faces in Solvang. 

We had some laughs! Remember when I almost wet my pants on our way to Gilroy?  What a hoot!

We had deviled eggs and quality time with Nonnie and took her out to dinner!

Saturday we all got up early…here are the highlights:

1.       Getting our bibs was painless

2.       Buying Nike gear was painful to the wallet, but I look good!

3.       Lunch at Pompeii’s Grotto

4.       The beautiful view of the bay



5.       That Ghiradelli sundae.  Remember when I was half way through it and I said I was going to puke….then I finished the sundae…good times.

6.       A cable car ride

7.       Seeing our names on the Nike Wall

8.       Seeing Kara Goucher and Joan Benoit Samuelson speak with our hero Craig Moss

9.       Finally finding our peeps!

10.   Dinner at Cheesecake Factory

11.   The HUGE group of friends we found!

12.   Our Anime Hotel!

All of these are memorable times!

Then came Sunday morning! We were freezing but happy! A little giddy!

We ran with Sara most of the way and Ditto the whole way! What a treat! We’ve never run a half with someone before….we may be spoiled now! Is it weird that I like threesomes?

We ran slow but steady, stopping to use the restroom, walking the hills, walking when it hurt.
 
 

And we finished.

We got the coveted Tiffany necklace from the fireman.

We found our friends, had adventures in traffic and made it home safe.

But now, Running, we need to take a break.

I have to take care of myself and that includes (finally) rehabilitating that angry hamstring.

Please believe me when I say that this is harder for me than it is for you.  For the last 3 years, we haven’t gone a week without spending some time together.

But now I have to take a break.

I’m terrified of what life will be like without you, but think this time apart will make us stronger and (hopefully) faster.

I’ll miss you,

Love,

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment